A Lifetime Offroad Experience!
This is a purely Level 2 tour. Offroading can become quite tough in these areas. We constantly drive on mountains and the altitude is almost always above 1.000 meters and up to more than 2.200 meters! The area offers also numerous hiking possibilities.
Total distance on Greek ground: aprox. 260 km on paved road, aprox. 700 km offroad!
Recommended time of the year: Late spring (April, May, June), fall (October, November, early December).
- Ferry-Boat arrival in Igoumenitsa port. Our meeting point is at the Mirtali Art Hotel, in Mantio, Dodoni, 65 km highway drive from Igoumenitsa.
- After a short briefing and the chance to get acquainted (and why not enjoy a breakfast or brunch made with care by our hosts Aikaterini and Marianthi) we get on our way to Kalarites. A combination of tarmac road and offroad trails takes us to the traditional Guesthouse Napoleon, our first overnight location.
- Napoleon and his wife Labrini, our hosts for the evening, will take good care of us, cook us the most delicious, authentic food with ingredients from the region and if the mood is right, we might end up in the “Bimsa” (the old cellar) for a Tsipouro or two and – why not, some singing…
- The real adventure starts today! Pure offroad driving, heading north. Because of the snow (that in these altitudes is present until at least the end of May) we will have to avoid the Peristeri mountains. Our alternative route is not less interesting and adventurous and we will reach our next camp location driving through a beautiful gorge!
- We start this day heading east. Our goal is to reach the Aoos reservoir for our picnic, through some challenging offroad trails!
- After a nice break by the water, we will head to the Tsouka Rossa peaks, in order to reach the village of Vovoussa and the traditional Guesthouse Kerasies. Antonis will be there waiting for us!
- Today we will have the chance to test our limits! Our aim is to reach the village of Perivoli through a demanding abandoned trail!
- Passing Perivoli, we will enter “Valia Calda” (the famous for its’ natural beauty “Warm Valley”), through the Stavros Passage. There we camp for the night.
- A day full of offroad fun in Valia Calda and the nearby streams is ahead of us. Later, we take the Papagiannis passage out of the valley and we drive towards Krania to the comfort of Pindos Resort and Babis’ and Sofias’ warm hospitality.
- The exploration of the two most beautiful traditional stone bridges of the area, Aziz-Aga and Portitsa, is our main activity today. In order to reach them we will have to do quite some offroading of course!
- Our next overnight is right on the summit of mount Liagouna. The 360 degree view that it offers, is an experience by itself and the trail to get there is also… interesting! If the terrain is wet we will have to go to an alternative camp site, since in wet conditions the summit is unreacheble by any vehicle (even ours!).
- Our journey through the beautiful countryside goes on and this time takes us through Avdela and Distrato, to the historic village of Samarina.
- In Samarinas’ picturesque square we will have the chance to savour the local cuisine, enjoy real Greek traditional specialities made by the hands of Giannis and Nikos at “Paschos” tavern.
- After lunch we head towards the Zouzouli region in one of our favourite locations to set up camp.
- This morning we should start quite early, as a longer than normal “leg” is in front of us. A day full of contrasts! An adventurous offroad trail to the Arena lake and from there to Plikati and the Agriolouloudo guesthouse for our next overnight. Giorgos and Vasso will take good care of us, cooking us dinner with delicious homegrown ingredients – cannot get better than that!
- Today for the first time we will be heading south. Our offroad trail brings us close to Aetomilitsa and then through a demanding track, to the main street.
- Our next task is to connect the villages of Monastiri and Elefthero through a beautiful trail. At the end of the trail, should we wish, we will have the chance to hike to the Dragonlake of Smolikas mountain and if we feel like it, to reach the mountaintop at an altitude of 2.630 meters! It is up to us…
- If time permits, we can also visit the Iliochori waterfall on our way to the incomparable Arvanita camp location, in the shadow of the Timfi mountains!
- Our tour continues on trails that will definitely impress you with their beauty!
- The time has come to leave the offroad trails for good on this tour. Offroading maybe over but the good times are still on! Now, we will drive to the village of Monodendri and visit the famous Vikos Gorge! A bite to eat and a coffee or refreshment can also be found here. Kikitsa’s handmade pies at her beautiful place in the heart of the village is a must-try!
- Our next stop is Aristi and the lovely Voidomatis river. We have two alternatives here: Either we enjoy a picnic by the river bed, or we jump into the adventure once again and go rafting in one of Europe’s cleanest rivers!
- The “Grand Finale” of this tour will be performed in the world-famous village of Papigo – the gem of the Zagorochoria region! We will spend the night at Guesthouse “Avragonio”, a dreamlike place where tradition meets luxury! Georgia and Petros are always there attending to every detail and taking care of our every need!
- Our farewell dinner at Pantheon restaurant is an experience of its own; Voula and Tassos will spoil us with a variety of traditional dishes (always cooked to perfection) and maybe the best Tsipouro of the tour!
- Our last day together begins somewhat later (and lazier) than usual with a hearty breakfast in Avragonio. A large selection of delicacies (all freshly handmade by Georgia) will fuel us before we take the road to Ioannina and straight to the car wash.
- We will say goodbye either here, or at a Cafe on the promenade in Ioannina depending on the time. Guests that travel back by ferryboat will be looking to another 85 km highway drive to Igoumenitsa port and if travel later in the evening, it is definitely worth visiting Ioannina’s famous lake and old town.
Date: 20.04.17 to 30.04.17
- Further dates on request
- Are you a group of min. 2 cars? Then you can get your own tour on your preferred dates! Contact us for details!
- 2 persons (car, driver, 1 passenger, 5 overnight stays in double rooms): 1.795,00 EUR
- Please contact us about pricing for children and additional passengers!
- 1 or 2 fully equipped 4×4 support vehicles
- VAT 19%
- English speaking guides
- Equipment list
- Handheld VHF/UHF receiver for each participating vehicle
- Complete safety equipment for a smooth and problem-free tour
- All (5) overnight stays in quality accommodations
- Breakfast only on accommodation overnight stays
- Picnics only on days following accommodation overnight stays
- Access to maps
- USB Flash memory or SD card with tour pictures and videos
- Our unique “Tour implementation warranty”
- Sticker, specially printed for the route
- Absolutely no hidden expenses
- All travel costs to and from the port or pre-agreed meeting point
- All fuel costs
- All other meals (accommodation-breakfast and picnics excluded)
- All costs incurred by unavoidable disruption of the travel pattern (e.g. unplanned overnight stays because of breakdowns, bad weather, delays, etc.)
- All vehicle repair, salvage, recovery costs that may emerge
Most convenient ferryboat connections:
- Ancona (Italy) to Igoumenitsa (Greece):
- ANEK-SUPERFAST, vessel SUPERFAST XI, departure 19.04.17 on 13:30, arrival 20.04.17 on 08:00
- MINOAN LINES, vessel CRUISE OLYMPIA, departure 19.04.17 on 14:00, arrival 20.04.17 on 07:00
- Igoumenitsa (Greece) to Ancona (Italy):
- ANEK-SUPERFAST, vessel HELLENIC SPIRIT, departure 30.04.17 on 23:59, arrival 01.05.17 on 16:30
- MINOAN LINES, vessel CRUISE EUROPA, departure 30.04.17 on 23:59, arrival 01.05.17 on 14:31